Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Roxanne

What I Guessed It Was About: Steve Martin is a big-nosed man who loves a woman named Roxanne...that basically what I pulled from the poster.
How I Came Into It: I should've really picked up on the Cyrano de Bergerac of it all from the poster alone. It took me way too long to recognize, I'll admit. It's a solid starting point for a script though and I've heard nothing but good things about this particular Steve Martin feature. Recently, I've gone from really appreciating to outright loving Steve Martin. I saved this movie like a dessert for a while now and was quite excited to get to it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I don't know much about the Cyrano de Bergerac play/story, so this was almost entirely new to me. Steve Martin is as good as I've ever seen him. It's clearly a role he had a lot of fun with, which makes sense since he wrote the movie. No one else in the cast stands out and that's fine by me. This is a top tier romantic comedy nailing both parts of the genre.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: One of these days I'll find something that allows me to get a good impression of Darryl Hannah. I don't dislike her. I'm completely indifferent. I don't know what is so supposed to be so appealing about her. I know that Charlie likes Roxanne. The why is a little less clear. Steve Martin pulls it off though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment