Thursday, November 24, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Finest Hours

The Pitch: The Perfect Storm with a happy ending.

It's not hard to see why Disney buried this. After delaying the release twice, they finally released it January 2016 in the shadow of The Force Awakens and it was quickly forgotten by everyone except for, apparently, Netflix and me.

I choose to believe that any movie with Chris Pine, Casey Affleck, Ben Foster, and Eric Bana is worth giving a chance. However, they are all only fine in this. Chris Pine looks like a hero in 1952. Affleck is finally old enough to use his weariness to full effect. I can buy him as the senior officer on a ship now. I don't think I could even circa Tower Heist (2011). Ben Foster is great at disappearing into roles. Bana, similar to Pine, looks completely at home in this time period. The X-factor is Holliday Granger. I never seek her out, but she has a habbit of showing up in different things, like Anna Karenina, the Bonnie & Clyde mini-series, and Cinderella. She's fine, but she could've done more. I remember a trailer I saw for this that made her seem like a much more vital character. I think I would've preferred that movie - Pine trying to get back to land and her fighting like hell from land to get him back. This was far more passive.

The movie reflects the time when it occurred. It's overtly crowd-pleasing in a way that never felt like there were any stakes. They get everyone on Pine's boat just in time. The town turns on the headlights just as Pine and company were fading. I was never worried. This is a great example of something with no there there.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment