Thursday, November 17, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Indie Game: Life After

The Pitch: Remember Indie Game: The Movie? Let's follow up on them.

It's probably not fair to even call this a movie. I saw Indie Game: The Movie a couple of years ago on Netflix. It was rough around the edges but a pretty good documentary. I like anything that can teach me about a new thing/world/community in an interesting way, which it did very well. I saw Life After pop up on my Netflix and decided to give it a try. This isn't really a film though. It's more of a collection of bonus materials, including some interviews from two years after Indie Game: The Movie was released. Knowing that now, I'll forgive the complete lack of narrative structure. The epilogues are not that interesting. They can be summed up by saying "The internet is a much different place when people know who you are, but the money and creative freedom that success brings sure is great". There's a few segments following new people. Those were interesting. Probably not enough to sustain a whole other documentary, so I'm glad they didn't try to. It's best to watch this immediately after watching Indie Game: The Movie or in 10 minute chunks. As a two hour film, it is way too choppy and unfocused for very understandable reasons.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment