Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Major League 2

The Pitch: People probably won't notice if we do the same thing again.

I made two notes while watching this that sum up my thoughts pretty well.
-Thoroughly predictable at every turn, and I didn't mind it, in a benign sort of way.
-I think the sequel has made me appreciate the first one retroactively.

It's a representative comedy sequel in that it's basically the same movie as the first, only they attempt to do more. It all works ok. Mostly, it highlighted what the first movie did so well. And, I'm willing to admit that I'd probably enjoy more of this if I liked baseball more than I do. It's nice to be reminded of Charlie Sheen's movie star days. It's entertaining to compare his character arc in this with his brother's that same year in the Mighty Ducks sequel. Maybe there's only room in Hollywood for one Sheen/Estevez at a time (and it's usually Martin). Omar Epps is only a slight downgrade from Wesley Snipes. Bob Uecker's alcohol consumption patterns were fun to track.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment