Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Delayed Reaction: I Think I Love My Wife

The Pitch: Chris Rock is married but looking.

Thank god for Top Five. Before that, Chris Rock made a career out of never matching his comedic talent with a film role to showcase it. His filmography is filled with Adam Sandler movies that ask him to do the same thing every time, some animated roles, a few supporting roles that asked him to add a couple jokes and leave, and his pet projects. It wasn't until Top Five that he had a pet project that didn't feel like a waste. The next most recent of his projects (non-documentary) came seven years earlier - I Think I Love My Wife. It's a mess of a movie.

Rock directed the movie and co-wrote it with Louis C.K. Looking at all of C.K.'s success with Louie and Rock's improvement with Top Five, maybe they just had to get I Think I Love My Wife out of their system in order to move on. I struggle to find anything about the movie that worked for me. Rock's character isn't particularly likable and wasn't interesting enough to make up for the lack of likability. The female characters are thinly drawn. By the time it ends, I just don't know what it was all building to.

The best guess I have is that this was a studio hack job. Maybe Rock and C.K. had something more cutting but the studio kept steering them into making more of a RomCom. I don't know. I'm trying to defend this, when I really can't. I didn't enjoy it enough to dig any deeper into it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment