Sunday, November 5, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The Adventures of Robin Hood

The Pitch: Does Errol Flynn look good in green?
 

It's the iconic Robin Hood for a reason. Even though Douglas Fairbanks made a popular Robin Hood movie before this in 1922 and there's been many re-tellings since, the 1935 version is the de facto Robin Hood to anyone except those who first learned of the story from the animated Disney film. I certainly saw the Disney film first, but I'm willing to yield the "best Robin Hood" title to Errol Flynn. I'm nervous to see any of his other films, because I worry that he won't be as good a fit in another part. 

The story is exactly the story I remember. There weren't any surprises. Oh, there's the part when he spars with Little John on the log. And the archery competition. I've seen clips from that scene when he first escapes from the castle so many times in other programs that I already knew every beat of it. Still, I found the movie quite entertaining. There's something nice about when a film doesn't try to overthink what it's doing. I wanted a Robin Hood story and this is the Robin Hood story. It's nice that the Kevin Costner movie got a little darker or the Russell Crowe movie tried to be more realistic. However, the Flynn version is pure Robin Hood.
 

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment