Saturday, May 27, 2017

Delayed Reaction: The BFG

The Pitch: Roald Dahl doesn't have enough movie adaptations. There should be another one about that giant. Not the peach. The big friendly one.

I'm going to be that guy. I hate being the guy who says this, but it applies here...
That movie was pretty dull.

Look, I love Stephen Spielberg. I think he is one of a masters at what he does. His work on kids movies is so impressive. He captures the whimsy of imagination better than just about anyone, and a lot of that is present in The BFG. He nails the tone. Sophie in the orphanage early on feels exactly as mysterious and menacing as I remember when I was a kid, still awake at 3am, when everyone else was asleep. The land of the giants looks and feels right. At no point is the movie not completely charming.

It sure meandered though. I only somewhat remember the story of the book, so I'm not sure how much of the dullness of the film is a function of the source material. There was just an odd pace to it all. For example, I couldn't believe how long the castle breakfast scene went on and so close to the end. I kept seeing how little time was left in the film and that scene kept going. When they finally neutralize the threat of  the other giants, it's an afterthought.

I don't like to be complaining about the pacing. So many movies follow the exact same story arc, with the same beats, the same impulses. It is refreshing that Spielberg decided to do something different. Perhaps if the characters or the humor worked for me a little more, I would've been on board with hanging out with them in this manner for long swaths of time. That said, Mark Rylance is delightful as the BFG. It just seems like he's having a lot of fun with the role. With some actors, when they do motion-capture, it seems like a chore for them. It doesn't with him in this. The little girl is fine for a 10 year old too.

It's a shame that Spielberg magic wasn't enough to sell me on the film. Even when I think about it, something like Hugo isn't all that eventful either, but I really enjoyed that movie. So, I'm either being a hypocrite or I still haven't pinpointed what didn't work for me in The BFG. Oh well.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment