Friday, June 10, 2016

Delayed Reaction: 102 Dalmatians

The Pitch: Glen Close agreed to do another one of these movies.

How I Came Into It: All I really remember about the first movie is that it has Glen Close, and it's the first movie I ever remember seeing Hugh Laurie in. Basically, Disney tried on that one. I can't say I understand why they made 102 other than Glen Close being interested for some reason.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's still got Glen Close: the Jack Sparrow of the franchise, so there's that. If you stop thinking of it as a 101 Dalmatians sequel and look at it as a British movie with some trained animals, it's pretty fun. I imagine kids would enjoy the silliness. It was a bit much for me.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: What do they think? Did Disney look at the first movie and say "I wonder if Glen Close is the only thing that contributed to the success of this movie?". I think that because everyone else is gone. Jeff Daniels and Joely Richardson are replaced by Ioan Gruffudd and Alice Evens, who even, if you squint, don't look like even 70% replacements. Were they banking on all those Gerard Depardieu fans? Whatever. This is a smaller feeling movie, which is fine. Glen Close has a complete lack of vanity, which is fun and I'll always approve of trained puppies doing anything.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment