Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Joy Luck Club

The Pitch: Chinese mothers live horrible lives so that their Chinese-American daughters can live less terrible lives.

How I Came Into It: I knew that I liked Ming-Na Wen from Agents of SHIELD. That's about it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I had a strange reaction to watching this movie. I found that the more I thought about it after the fact, the more I liked it and what it did. The structure is simple but full. The performances are all solid, save a few moments of histrionics. If you asked me right after I watched this if I wanted to see it again, I would've told you "no". As time has passed, I'm thinking differently. I want at least a second viewing to better appreciate the shifting perspectives of the children and mothers.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: That said, I didn't particularly enjoy it as I was watching it, there's something to be said about that. It definitely has an "all men are evil" vibe that lacked nuance. There was a point to that though. Yeah, this is a curious case.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment