Sunday, June 12, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Next Friday

The Pitch: Hi Felicia. Wanna make a sequel?
How I Came Into It: Friday is a fun, messy movie. It has a specific point of view and the looseness of people who haven't done this before. The further removed Ice Cube is from Compton, the more I worry about this franchise. I mean that on two levels: in real life and in the movie.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I like that this franchise is Ice Cube's baby. He's the credited writer on each of them, and they feel much more authentic than, say Are We There Yet? or Snickers commercials. The sense of humor is very much the same as the first movie, only the setting has changed. I appreciate that Mike Epps is trying to do something different than what Chris Tucker did while filling the same role.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I don't think Ice Cube has as much to say about the suburbs. It ends up being the difference between telling the jokes you have in you vs. coming up with jokes to fill a script. It's fine. It just lost a little something.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment