Sunday, June 5, 2016

Delayed Reaction: Alien Resurrection

The Pitch: Somehow, Sigourney Weaver is on board for another Alien.
How I Came Into It: I have a hard time remembering how many of these movies there are. They took their time between movies and it's a different director each time. The Alien vs. Predator series confuses it too. The only thing I know for sure is the Alien and Aliens are the only ones regarded as classics. It's a versatile franchise though (You can't get much more generic than "alien").

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) As long as it's got Sigourney Weaver as Ellen Ripley, it's going to work at some level. Throw in a few aliens, especially when they explode out of a body, and it's watchable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I was shocked to find out that this was a Joss Whedon script. It didn't read like one at all. Looking it up, I've discovered that he was very displeased with the execution of his script. I'm comfortable believing that this wasn't his fault. Bringing back Ridley as a clone (something that Whedon was told to add to the script, by the way) is like the Terminator producers continuing to find reasons to bring back Arnold: the more they do it, the less interesting the character becomes. This wasn't an awful movie or anything. It's just a tired idea by the fourth movie. This is a great example of the problems the come when a studio is driving the need for sequels rather than having talented producers invested in continuing it (Another good example of this is The Exorcist franchise).

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment