Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Exorcist

What I Guessed It Was About: A girl becomes possessed by the devil.
How I Came Into It: I've seen a lot of this movie before in bits and pieces, but I've never actually sat down and watched it all the way through. When I was younger, it looked too scary and as I got older it seemed too familiar, because everyone knows this movie even if they haven't seen it. It's a classic and it is worth me giving it a proper viewing.

Why I Saw It: This is effectively creepy and holds up very well. Ellen Byrstyn and Linda Hamilton sell the hell out of that mother-daughter duo. I spent most of the movie reminding myself that Jason Miller isn't Gabriel Byrne, which I'm going to say is a compliment. Max Von Sydow is always great as well. The whole movie is heightened, even in the slow beginning, so by the time everything ramps up, I was already on edge. Yeah, I get why this is a horror classic.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It is a little slow in the beginning. Even if that was a decision to make the end more exciting, that doesn't mean the beginning is not slow. Some of the effects don't hold up as well as you'd hope. These are pretty small gripes. I saw this movie to be scared. It still scares and tells a story effectively. So, success.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment