Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 - The "Somehow Not in My Top 30" 10 (31-40)

It's December again. That means it's time to look back on the year. By far, 2015 was the busiest year of TV (or whatever we call it now) ever. So many shows. So many channels. So many ways to watch it. So much that I can't ever cover it all in a single list.

You know the drill. There's so much good TV on. I watch almost 70 shows this year, after 30 shows, I still have 10 that are worth highlighting above "I watch it because it's on".

Top 10
Next Top 10 (11-20)
The “20's Not Enough” 10 (21-30)
The “Somehow Not in my top 30” 10. (31-40)
Everything Else
Worst 10
Wish I Watched

Last Year

The Last Man on Earth (Seasons 1 & 2)
The pilot episode ("Alive in Tuscon") this spring was one of the great comedy episodes of 2015. The opening episodes of season two ("Is There Anybody Out There?" and "The Boo") aren't far behind. The characters are so insufferable to one another the rest of the time (especially in the first season) that it gets hard to love it.

The Mindy Project (Season 3) (Last Year: #17)
This is an incomplete. I don't have Hulu, so I haven't been able to keep up with the new season. I didn't love the Stanford episodes that began the year, nor was I all that intrigued by Mindy's pregnancy. As always my, interest in the series was powered by my overwhelming love of Mindy Kaling's comedic voice. I'll watch pretty much anything with her if I know that she wrote it.

Scream Queens (Season 1)
This is American Horror Story if it decided it's ok to laugh at what's happening. It was incredibly stupid and filled with pretty people. Sometimes, that's all I need. I respect the commitment of Emma Roberts, Lea Michele, and Jamie Lee Curtis even if I didn't think they were well written most of the time. I want to see more shows or movies with Skyler Samuels in order to get a better sense of her, but as is, I'm intrigued by her. Oh, and Diego Boneta's Matthew McConaughey is spot on. Then there's Ariana Grande stealing every scene she was in.

Blackish (Seasons 1 & 2)
At some point, these rankings are just arbitrary. I enjoy this every week. Certain episodes, like the season 2 openers "The Word" and "Rock, Paper, Scissors, Gun", have made me laugh as much as any show on TV. Anthony Anderson and Tracee Ellis Ross are seasoned veterans and those kids are as solid as any child actors on TV. The scenes with Dre in the office are becoming the highlight of any episode.

Parenthood (Season 6) (Last Year: #18)
When you only have four episodes air in 2015, you don't get to rank that highly. The series finale was very satisfying though. I'm going to miss this show and that wonderful, wonderful cast.

Saturday Night Live (Seasons 40 & 41) (Last Year: #20)
That Trump episode though. I can't rank SNL any higher. A more prepared person would have a list of great sketches from this year ready. All I'm going to do is include the one that made me laugh the hardest. Kate McKinnon is a national treasure.

Agent Carter (Season 1)
Marvel is clearly more invested in Hayley Atwell's Peggy Carter than anyone on Agents of SHIELD. This was a lot of retro fun.

Community (Season 6) (Last Year: #16)
We've gotten our six seasons. That's all that really matters. The series definitely aged and the original cast was a little too depleted. Mostly, I just can't rate it any higher than this because I refuse to award Yahoo for having such an unbelievably awful video player. It froze. It got out of sync. It restarted episodes. I refuse to watch another of their series.

Daredevil (Season 1)
Seriously, Vincent D'Onofrio deserved an Emmy nomination for making an outsized character like Wilson Fisk work. Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson were delightful. I would've watched them on a pub crawl just as happily as a showdown between Fisk and Matt Murdock.

Meltdown (Season 2)
What's not to like about a a weekly stand up cluster?

No comments:

Post a Comment