Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Stand By Me

What I Guessed It Was About: Four friends travel down a train track to see a dead body. It's a pretty famous movie. Even if I hadn't seen it, I know what it is.
How I Came Into It: I listened to the most recent Will Wheton appearance on the Nerdist podcast and that was one Stand By Me reference too many. I have no idea how I'd never seen this before. I haven't even seen bits and pieces of it. I think this reflects poorly on my parents. What else did they deprive me of? I think I ate enough vegetables. I always had a roof over my head. I think this is the only big whiff.

Why I Saw It: I was convinced for a long time that this was one of those movies that could only be appreciated fully if seen before a certain age. Not the case. I'm not sure how else to put it than I really enjoyed this movie. The casting is impeccable. There's not much to the story, which works well. When they actually find the body, it's unglamorous and simple. The language is refreshing. I don't know why it's such a revelation that kids swear (even if most of the time they aren't doing it right).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: You could say it maybe isn't the most elegant movie. Perhaps the drama's more heightened than it needs to be. You could say that. I wouldn't.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment