Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 - What Else I Watched

It's December again. That means it's time to look back on the year. By far, 2015 was the busiest year of TV (or whatever we call it now) ever. So many shows. So many channels. So many ways to watch it. So much that I can't ever cover it all in a single list.

Yes, at some point, I'm watching shows because I watch them. Maybe they're shows having a random down year or have the pieces to be great but are still putting it all together. Maybe it's a rating behemoth that I watch to stay current with the rest of the world or something with too many good actors for me to accept that the show's not any good. Finally, after 40 shows I swear by, these are all the shows I simply watch but don't hate.

Top 10
Next Top 10 (11-20)
The “20's Not Enough” 10 (21-30)
The “Somehow Not in my top 30” 10. (31-40)
Everything Else
Worst 10
Wish I Watched

Last Year

The Walking Dead (Seasons 5 & 6)
The end of last season was fine. The beginning of season 6 has been bad. I have no way to sugarcoat it. The Glenn debacle is only part of it. Thankfully, this is a resilient show that generally follows rough patches with strong ones. Here's to hoping.

The Simpsons (Season 27)
I readded The Simpsons to my DVR for the first time in years this fall. In fact, the last time I watched it regularly precedes DVR. Regardless, I've enjoyed following it again. I have a lot of catching up to do from the interim.

Bob's Burgers (Season 6)
Thanks to Brooklyn Nine Nine, then The Last Man on Earth, I've gone ahead and added a lot of shows from Fox Sunday this fall. I like this show.

Battlebots (Season 1)
It's robots destroying other robots! I'll happily watch that for six weeks in the summer.

American Ninja Warrior (Season 7)
It's a simple formula: People do obstacle courses. That's it. It's not perfect TV, but it sure is fun for the Summer.

New Girl (Season 4)
No episodes this fall, so we're looking at a handful of episodes in the winter and spring. Farewell, Coach. You will be missed.

The Muppets (Season 1)
This is not a ready-made show. Even though the Muppets are known characters, there's some growing pains learning how to make this work as a primetime sitcom.

Modern Family (Seasons 6 & 7)
This show is far more interested in the Haley/Andy relationship than I am. At least Cam and Mitchell don't seem like a couple who shouldn't be together anymore.

Archer (Season 6)
That finale was in March! In general, this is a show I watch, not one that I love. Nine months to forget about it as well is enough for it to fall into obscurity.

@ Midnight
I like Chris Hardwick. The show is made by the guests though. There's few shows I'm happier to binge on a drunk weekend night before going to bed.

House of Cards (Season 3)
I'm bothered by how this season played out. Season 1 was how Frank Underwood games the system to become Vice President. Season 2 was how Frank Underwood games the system to become President. Season 3...was how Frank Underwood somehow isn't prepared for this job and falls apart...That's not interesting. Give me a worthy opponent or show me Frank being as crafty as ever and still unable to succeed. This wasn't nearly as interesting. Robin Wright was good again though.

Bloodline (Season 1)
I wanted to get into this show a lot more than I did get into it. Kyle Chandler, Ben Mendelson, Linda Cardellini, Sissy Spacek. So many great performances. It played too much like Damages and I spent too much time examining the seams..

Scorpion (Seasons 1 & 2)
I mean, it's fine. The characters are likable enough. The stories are rubbish, but they own it. One thing that I find interesting is how the conflict of the episode is normally taken care of by the 45 minute mark. There's a lot of downtime at the end.

Arrow (Seasons 3 & 4)
That's a pretty cast. And, it's fun that he's the Green Arrow finally.

Agents of SHIELD (Seasons 2 & 3)
The sure are doubling down on the Inhuman stuff.

Tosh.0
I really could drop this at any moment, but I probably won't because it's easy to watch.

A to Z (Season 1)
It aired only 4 episodes in 2015. They weren't great. They weren't bad either.  Cristin Milioti and Ben Feldman were delightful. I wish them the best.

Lip Sync Battles (Season 1)
It's a nice distraction. I find Chrissy Tiegen pretty useless and LL Cool J is only there to keep the trains running on time. This was completely dependent on the competitors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment