Thursday, December 24, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Ring Two

What I Guessed It Was About: There's some sort of stipulation to that self-contained ending in the first movie that requires Rachel (Naomi Watts) and her son to still be chased by Samara. Then pretty much the same things happen as in the first movie, only you rotate in a few new actors to replace the dead ones.
How I Came Into It: The Ring is one of my favorite horror movies. It does everything right. While the concept is ripe for sequels, bringing back Watts as the main character was going to require some convolutions that simply didn't excite me.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Technically, all the stuff I liked about the first movie are there. Creepy imagery. Some legend building. A couple mind-fucks. Naomi Watts. I was fine with the idea of separating this from the first in my mind, so this was disposable horror entertainment.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: One big thing that was missing here that was in the first movie was that scary as hell ending when Samara comes out of the TV. Lacking something at that level immediately lost a star rating. This movie gave a few too many answers to things, which is the risk of any horror franchise. The audience of course wants answers, but the less there is that's left a mystery, the less scary it gets. I'm fine that no third sequel was ever made.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment