Saturday, December 12, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Gnomeo & Juliet

What I Guessed It Was About: It's the story of Romeo and Juliet, somehow told with lawn gnomes.
How I Came Into It: I knew Elton John was involved somehow. I'm not sure why but that was the major thing about it that I ever heard. I'm still not sure what his capacity was other than some music. Was that it? And I would've sworn to you that this was made by Aardman Animations before I saw it. Apparently, it's not. - That's it! - This was produced by Elton John's production company, Rocket Pictures. In other new, Elton John has had a production company for the last 20 years. That's a thing.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) As far as adaptations go, this is a clever way to do the Romeo and Juliet story, even if I'm 100% certain that it began with a title, then a script was made. I'll also never gripe about getting Emily Blunt, James McAvoy, Michael Caine, and Maggie Smith in a movie together. The telling of the plastic flamingo's lost love story was effectively heartbreaking, like the best of the Pixar short films.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: How many different versions of Romeo and Juliet do I need to see? It's one thing to be a Romeo and Juliet story, which is the moniker for any story with star-crossed lovers, since people like me are lazy about categorizing things. It's another thing to overtly use the title of the play like this. The whole idea is more of a creative writing assignment than a screenplay.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment