Saturday, December 19, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Postcards from the Edge

What I Guessed It Was About: I just watched P.S. I Love You, and based on the title, I'm having a hard time seeing how this plot is any different. Something tells me I'm wrong though.
How I Came Into It: I didn't know anything about this beforehand. It took until it started for me to know who was in it and until the final credits to know the credentials behind the camera. Both are impressive.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Starring Queen Meryl and Shirley MacLaine. Screenplay by Carrie Fisher (She's a writer. Who knew?). Directed by Mike Nichols (The Graduate, The Birdcage). I can't argue with any of those. Meryl, no surprise, gives a great performance. She sings. That's pretty great.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The story is all over the place. Part of me likes that it didn't have a traditional structure. Most of me didn't. Meryl is a drug addict. She's stuck living with her mother. Dennis Quaid is sorta cheating on her. She's unfulfilled with her career. Or is she too good for her career? After the second or third time, that trick where they start a scene like they are filming a scene from a movie got old. Meryl's singing at the end didn't so much pull the movie together as it was good enough to almost make me forget about my issues with the rest of it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment