Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Joe Versus the Volcano

What I Guessed It Was About: Joe is a regular guy. He ends up on an island where he has to somehow settle a volcano that threatens to destroy the island.
How I Came Into It: Beyond Tom Hanks, Meg Ryan, and the distinctive title, I didn't know much about this. It's weird to think that this and Doubt are the only two movies that John Patrick Shanley has directed (he's certainly remained busy on Broadway in the mean time).

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I'm still not sure what to make of this movie, but it is decidedly winning. Tom Hanks plays this type of role like no one else. I can't imagine another actor's take on the role (similar to how I couldn't see anyone else leading The Burbs). Meg Ryan is having a great damn time. A character like Angelica should annoy the hell out of me, but Ryan is so committed to the part that I have to enjoy it. The structure of the movie is nothing like what I expected. They were barely even on the island, for instance. And none of it takes itself seriously. This was another one of those happy Club 50 finds.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I'm not sure. It's by no means a perfect movie, but it's odd and really must be taken as a whole. Everything about it fit.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

1 comment:

  1. I just can’t help it. Joe Versus the Volcano is one of my top go-to guilty pleasure films. My immense enjoyment of it is all vibe-based. It has a special movie magic feeling that is oddly life affirming. Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan are charming (naturally), and the commitment Meg brings to all three love interests is infectious.

    ReplyDelete