Sunday, December 13, 2015

Delayed Reaction: From Dusk Till Dawn

What I Guessed It Was About: Two criminals take a family hostage, then vampires happen.
How I Came Into It: I saw a lot of the first half a long time ago and stopped right as it got the the vampires. I'm not sure why I didn't finish it then. I like George Clooney and I find his pre-Danny Ocean phase in movies very interesting. Right now it's such a given that he's a king of Hollywood that it's interesting seeing when he was trying to establish himself as more than that guy from a bunch of TV shows.

Why I Saw It: I can't think of another movie that completely shift gears at this level. It's like you can track the moment that this went from being a Tarantino script to being a Robert Rodriguez movie. You know - the the end of the Salma Hayek dance. It makes the movie rather unique. When the vampires show up, you can forget everything that came before it and enjoy the fun B-movie action.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The style of the movie protects it from a lot of criticism. That makes it a little frustrating to talk about. I could bring up something like it making no sense that the Gekko brothers and their captives end up bonding by the end. Then, someone says, "that's the point of the movie" or something and I couldn't argue with it. There really didn't need to be Tarantino on camera though.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment