Thursday, December 24, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Cutting Edge

What I Guessed It Was About: A headstrong skater and a former hockey player become a figure skating duo and probably fall in love.
How I Came Into It: I remember the sequel with Christy Carlson Romano being pushed very hard by the Disney Channel back in the day and pretty much gathering the entire plot from that. This is the original. Since they didn't bring back the actors for the sequel, I had to assume there was something to the execution of the story that made it worth resurrecting.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I quite liked this movie. Moira Kelly and D.B. Sweeney are winning leads. There's more wit to the movie than I expected. Whenever the movie starts to take itself to seriously, it eases back and lightens the mood. Maybe I was just in good spirits that day, but I found this very easy to enjoy.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: There's nothing special about this movie. The plot is predictable. While the acting is fine for this movie, it's no surprise that neither of the stars became superstars. The ice skating itself wasn't shot that impressively. This movie is the equivalent of a safe routine. It doesn't aim that high or low, but as long as it hits its marks, it does well enough to be good.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment