Thursday, December 31, 2015

2015 - The Shows I Wish I'd Watched

It's December again. That means it's time to look back on the year. By far, 2015 was the busiest year of TV (or whatever we call it now) ever. So many shows. So many channels. So many ways to watch it. So much that I can't ever cover it all in a single list.

For all the shows I did get to watch this year, there's so many I didn't have the time, opportunity, or DVR space to watch. I've covered the worst things I watched already. Before I get to all the great shows I watched, I'd like to cover a few I regret not getting to.

Top 10
Next Top 10 (11-20)
The “20's Not Enough” 10 (21-30)
The “Somehow Not in my top 30” 10. (31-40)
Everything Else
Worst 10
Wish I Watched

Last Year

BoJack Horseman (Season)
Why I Didn't Watch It: It looks really Adult Swim-y which I'm used to ignoring.
Why I Need to Change That: This took the "Animated Golden Child" title among critics from Bob's Burgers last year and hasn't let go. I hear that it's surprisingly poignant and does Hollywood satire better than a half dozen live action shows out there.

Broad City (Season 2)
Why I Didn't Watch It: I want to watch it from the beginning and haven't found it available on any service I have.
Why I Need to Change That: While the buzz has quieted down from last year, there's been no indication that the quality has diminished. Abbi Jacobson and Ilana Glazer are rising stars. I need to get on this train before it's too late.

Empire (Seasons 1 & 2)
Why I Didn't Watch It: When it premiered, I assumed it was mid-season cannon fodder. I keep waiting for the wave to crash.
Why I Need to Change That: While the concept of the show doesn't interest me all that much, at some point I just have to watch to stay relevant with pop culture, right?

The Good Wife (Seasons 6 & 7)
Why I Didn't Watch It: I'm so damn far behind.
Why I Need to Change That: I like a good lawyer show and this has been a critical darling for years. I have no excuse for not watching this yet other than 144 episodes and counting.

The Knick (Season 2)
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have Cinemax.
Why I Need to Change That: A period medical drama starring Clive Owen with Steven Soderbergh directing every episode. Yeah, why would I want to watch that?

Mr. Robot (Season 1)
Why I Didn't Watch It: When I think of USA original Series, I still think "Blue Sky", not "Critical darling".
Why I Need to Change That: I've heard nothing but good things about Rami Malek, Christian Slater, and this show as a whole. Luckily, with it being a USA show, I'm sure I'll be able to find a marathon of it on at some time before the second season premieres, if I choose to catch up on it.

Shameless (Season 5)
Why I Didn't Watch It: I don't have Showtime.
Why I Need to Change That: This is one of my very favorite show. Emmy Rossum, Jeremy Allen White, Emma Kenney, William H. Macy. They're all terrific. I wish I had Showtime.

UnREAL (Season 1)
Why I Didn't Watch It: It's on Lifetime. This is the network of Drop Dead Diva and Army Wives. I had no reason to assume this would be worth watching.
Why I Need to Change That: This is a series about working behind the scenes of a reality dating show. I like Shirri Appleby and Constance Zimmer, and apparently this show was more cutting about the topic than I would've expected.

You're the Worst (Season 2)
Why I Didn't Watch It: They moved it to FXX because they hate me.
Why I Need to Change That: By the end of season one, I grew to really like this. Chris Geere, Aya Cash, Kether Donohue, and Desmin Borges are all great. I'll be seeing this eventually, but not in 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment