Saturday, December 19, 2015

Delayed Reaction: High Fidelity

What I Guessed It Was About: John Cusack works at or owns a record shop. He's kind of an asshole. He has a lot of issues with everything. Jack Black ends up singing at the end.
How I Came Into It: I just listened to John Cusack on the Nerdist a few days back and watched 1408. I'm on a kick right now. High Fidelity is a movie I've always heard about yet I knew little about it. I confused it with Empire Records for years. And it's based on a Nick Hornsby book. A lot was working in this movie's favor.

Why I Saw It: John Cusack is great. He's such an asshole and still endearing in his earnestness. Making inaccessible characters relatable is a strength of his. Jack Black is overbearing in a likable way too. Really, this is a whole movie of unpleasant people that I like watching.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: There are a couple moments there when it just so damn hard to root for these characters. The musical pretension in particular is insufferable. Mostly though, I quite enjoyed the movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment