Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Delayed Reaction: King Ralph

What I Guessed It Was About: Ralph is a Vegas singer who manages to become king of England.
How I Came Into It: 90% of my awareness of this is from a joke in an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. 90% of the reason I even remember that one joke is from multiple mentions of it in episodes of the Nerdist podcast.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's strange to say that I really liked "What A Girl Wants, so it was only natural that I'd like King Ralph". That's true, yet it sounds wrong. Amanda Bynes and John Goodman movies tend to be so similar, after all. This is a fun and stupid movie that's absolutely everything I expected it would be. And it got Peter O'Toole. That gets instant respectability.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I wanted a little more of Ralph in America. He's briefly introduced, then heads straight to England where he's more of a cypher than a person. He's whatever a boorish American needs to be in a specific situations, not much else. It's not a deep enough movie to require there to be more to him, but it would've been nice.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment