Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Call Me Lucky

The Pitch: A documentary about the life and work of stand-up comedian and activist Barry Crimmins.
How I Came Into It: This is one of those cases where the only reason I saw the movie was because I already knew about what's in it, but going in blind would've been the optimal way to see it. I knew a little about Crimmins from previous specials I've seen about the Ding Ho and the Boston comedy scene in the 80s, but I wasn't greatly familiar with him in particular. I've also enjoyed the previous movies of Bobcat Goldthwait's (World's Greatest Dad, God Bless America).

Why I Saw It: Barry Crimmins has had a fascinating life. He had a troubled childhood. He grew up to be one of the people most responsible for the 80's comedy boom in Boston. From there, he got into activism and even worked to protect the internet in the early days from pedophiles. It's interesting learning about everything he went through and how he used it to do good in the world. The level of access that Goldthwait gets is impressive. At times, it's an emotional punch in the gut.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This is going to sound a little lame, but I don't think he's a stand up I'd like. I didn't find him or his style at all appealing. That doesn't really affect my end opinion of the movie much, but it does a little.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment