Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Cell

The Pitch: We were supposed to make this cop thriller, but we took LSD instead.

How I Came Into It: Apparently, I'm a Tarsem Singh fan and didn't know it. At least, I've seen all of his movies without realizing it. The Fall is a trippy movie. Mirror, Mirror I mostly like for Lily Collins and the song at the end, which is legitimately one of my 50 favorite songs. Immortals was a stylish Clash of the Titans clone. I haven't seen Self/Less yet because it's pretty new. This is the film that started it all though, and I wasn't sure what that would mean.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This certainly came from the director of The Fall. Visually, this is a very engaging movie. Even when the CGI is dated, it's unique enough that it doesn't matter. I didn't even realize that the first victim was Katherine from Power Rangers (the Pink Ranger who replaced Kimberly). I don't see too many people from that cast showing up elsewhere, so that was nifty.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The plot is supposed to be secondary and completely forgettable, right? I'll admit, I took a little longer than normal to write this Reaction up. After about a day, I sort of remembered the story. After a weekend, I remembered the outline of the story. After about a week and a half, it's indistinguishable from The Lawnmower Man or a Law and Order story (casting Vincent D'Onofrio didn't help that latter point either).

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment