Friday, June 24, 2016

Delayed Reaction: The Right Stuff

The Pitch: How did we get to the moon and would it make a good movie?

How I Came Into It: I've been itching to watch the HBO mini-series From the Earth to the Moon for a while and haven't wanted to commit the time to it. This seemed like a good alternative. Then I realized The Right Stuff is three hours long. Less of a commitment. Still intimidating. Regardless, I've only heard good things about it.

Why I Saw It: If nothing else, seeing this helped me get the rest of the homages in "Basic Rocket Science". It's long, but it's a very watchable 3 hours. It's full of likable performances from Sam Shepard, Dennis Quaid, Ed Harris, Fred Ward, and so many others. It's that style of movie, similar to Seabiscuit. It starts a little slow, but once it gets going, I'm having so much fun in the world with those characters, that it could go on as long as it wants. I can see why it's as highly regarded as it is.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: As I said, it is a little slow to start. That's all I've got.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment