Monday, May 25, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Alien vs. Predator

What I Guessed It Was About: Some people go to some remote location or maybe it's outer space (Who can tell the difference these days?). They walk into a dispute between the Aliens and the Predators, similar to a Freddy vs. Jason situation.
How I Came Into It: I've only recently seen Predator and I've seen the Alien movies before at different times. They only look comparable in that they both have aliens in them. Beyond that, this looks a lot like the studio with the rights to both milking some product out of rebranding. I'm not highly invested in either, so whatever. It's their prerogative.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) There's a part of me that sees the title Alien vs. Predator and says, "Awesome. Let's see those two fight, Godzilla vs. Mothra style". That part of me is pretty pleased. Once they got the movie to where it was those two fighting and little else, it worked pretty well.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Sadly, there's the whole matter of how to get to those two fighting. The human cast is nothing but a bunch of red shirts, even the lead (Sanaa Lathan) despite not dying. The story is insubstantial too.I appreciate the effort made to make the two franchises work together, despite the difference in time (Predator in the present sort of, and Alien in the future), which apparently involves a lot of Aztec mythology, but the story never feels like anything more than reverse engineering a narrative.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment