Saturday, May 30, 2015

Delayed Reaction: House Party

The Pitch: It'll be like a hip-hop American Graffiti.
How I Came Into It: I knew that there was the guy with the big hair. I knew that it had sequels of diminishing quality. I knew that it is inescapably dated by the clothes and sound track.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is a very easy to watch, minimally abrasive movie. It's the same basic structure as Superbad. That's a plus. I love me a modern-day Odyssey story. I'm going to go ahead and say this rap battle in this is superior to the one in 8 Mile*.

*I'm going to estimate that 60% of that statement is me trolling.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I get tired of using this reason, but I didn't laugh at any of it. It's very dated and without the context of when it was released, it loses a great deal of its charm. I'm not sure if this is a negative, but I really thought I'd recognize more of the cast. It's something I'd definitely watch again, for whatever that's worth.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment