Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Hard to Kill

The Pitch: Steven Seagal gets revenge on [a senator] for killing [his family] after [coming out of a coma].*

*This template is conveniently reusable.
How I Came Into It: How the hell long was this Steven Seagal marathon I recorded? In the past few weeks, I've gone from being barely aware of Seagal's movie to having an acute distaste for them. I prepared myself for an equally simple movie as his others with a similarly innocuous name. It did worry me that this didn't even have the benefit of surrounding Seagal with better actors to offset - you know - him.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This is only Seagal's second movie, so parts of it still look like someone is trying. It's a very simple plot and it's a hard one to get wrong: Man is betrayed. Man seeks revenge. Kelly LeBrock is positively shining by comparison throughout the movie and gives it a lighter feel that is missing from later movies.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's nearly bulletproof in a way. To complain about this would be to take it seriously, which shouldn't be done. It's incredibly violent in a needless way. The dialogue is horrible. You could teach a seminar on the dangers of writing a script backwards with all the crap thrown into this. Most of what it comes down to though is that the entire time Seagal is on screen, I keep thinking "that guy looks like an asshole". There's a fan of this type of movie out there. I am not one of them.

Verdict (?): Strongly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment