Thursday, May 21, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Obsessed

The Pitch: A temp tries to become permanent...with Beyonce's man. Ohnoshedidn't.
How I Came Into It: You know, I've seen a lot of Beyonce's filmography. I haven't loved any of the movies and I don't even like her a lot. I just realized that. The title and poster says all you need to know and that's the kind of movie they were trying to make.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Idris Elba. Ali Larter was pretty hot a couple of times too. The catfight between her and Beyonce followed through on the implicit contract of that title in that kind of movie with that cast. If I like the Fatal Attraction kind of movies more, this would certainly whet an appetite for that. This movie is definitely a success because of the Beyonce of it all, and they gave the audience enough of her to justify the attention.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The movie is half soundtrack at least. I'm pretty sure there's two different songs at the beginning before anyone even says anything. I never understood Ali Larter's motivation other than Idris Elba being one good looking specimen. The story doesn't make much sense as a result. For example, what was the point of her drugging and sleeping with him anyway? Was that ever used against him? The script (or to be fair, maybe it was the editing) could've been a lot tighter. I won't bother going after any of the performances because this isn't a movie where anyone needed to be doing exceptional work.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment