Friday, May 22, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Up Close & Personal

The Pitch: It'll be a movie that sounds like Network and ends up being A Star is Born.

How I Came Into It: I didn't know a lot about it, but I live in a post-Nightcrawler world and I couldn't get my mind off it the whole time I was watching this because it's the inverse-Nightcrawler.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Michelle Pfeiffer and Robert Redford can lead a movie in their sleep. This is a very clean movie. Pfeiffer is able to succeed because she works hard and catches a break or two. Her and Redford succeed in railing gently pushing against the establishment. Redford dies a martyr for truth and Pfeiffer lives to be a symbol for proper journalism. If I'm looking for a straightforward narrative, this is nice and agreeable.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Agreeable isn't interesting. Everything was pretty easy for the leads and the conflicts are pretty black and white. Then there's not being able to get over how much older Redford is than Pfeiffer. Apparently, once upon a time this was based on some reporter's biography. I didn't even know that going in, but I sure hope the reporter's life wasn't as toothless as this.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment