Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Freddy vs. Jason

The Pitch: Well, we have these two dead franchises. How can we bring them back in a way people would care about? Mashup? Yeah, I think a mashup.

What Took Me So Long: Don't laugh, but I thought I'd need to have seen more of the original movies first. I caught bits and pieces before, but I'd never seen the Nightmare on Elm Street or Friday the 13th movies. I thought that would help me appreciate what is bad about this.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) While I've always thought that true camp should almost be an accident, this is pretty close to synthesizing it. The actors play it all seriously but the direction isn't serious at all. It's a fun tone and satiates a certain slasher need that I have from time to time.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's not a "good movie". It's meant to not be good. That's doesn't mean I give it a pass for being bad. I'm also not going to bother shitting on it either, because that would be a waste of breath. It's bad in all the ways you'd expect or even hope. Special thanks go to Kelly Rowland for making me appreciate that she's much better at singing.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment