Friday, October 31, 2014

Delayed Reacion: Hotel Transylvania

The Pitch: I wonder if the saying "they're as afraid of us we are of them" could apply to monsters? Quick, Adam Sandler wants to be involved.

What Took Me So Long: You've heard this story before. I only see matinees. Animated movies mean children. I'm happy to wait for Netflix or DVD.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Adam Sandler sounds like he's having a good time and he's more engaged here than he's been in his recent live action movies. The angle of the monsters being equally afraid of humans doesn't make a ton of sense, but it is at least interesting. Oh, and the animation does look pretty good.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This feels like the hundredth iteration of a "Dracula, Frankenstein, and the Mummy are all friends" story. I'm amazed how, even in a non-Happy Madison production like this, it still manages to come off as Adam Sandler hiring all his friends to voice the characters. You know, I respect the loyalty, but it's sometimes nice to see hear actors work with different people. A lot of the movie is about going for the easiest joke possible.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment