Thursday, October 2, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Populaire

The Pitch: A secretary from a small town tries to become the world's greatest typer and finds love along the way.

What Took Me So Long: I hadn't even heard of it until recently and the description I got of it sounded like it would either be charming as hell or a complete train-wreck. I was bored enough to find out.

Why I Saw It: I always forget that foreign movies get away with a lot of beats that Hollywood doesn't allow. There's more plot jammed into less than two hours than I expected, which kept it moving at a brisk pace. The story of Rose Pamphyle going from a small town girl, aspiring only as high as being a secretary in 1950s France, to becoming the regional, no,  national, no, world champion typer is hard to fault. It's a feel good story about a competitive world I never even considered. Throw in the romance between her and her boss/coach, Louis Echard, and it's a real crowd-pleaser. Deborah Fracois and Romain Duris have fantastic chemistry and Berenice Bejo is repeatedly a scene stealer. With the exception of Bejo, everyone was new to me and they all make a great first impression.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: The exact thing that makes a crowd-pleaser like this work is that there is a formula, and you can't break the formula too much or it won't work. So, the movie doesn't do much to surprise me. Then again, I'm a huge fan of crowd-pleasers. I like movies that leave me feeling good. This is such a winning movie that's I'd rather not find fault in it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment