Thursday, October 30, 2014

Delayed Reaction: French Kiss

The Pitch: Paris is a beautiful city. I want to shoot a Romantic Comedy in it. Someone get Meg Ryan!

What Took Me So Long: I've never found Meg Ryan that appealing and Kevin Kline's accent scared me away some.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's forgettable movie in a good way. It's a simple story. Boy dumps girl. Girl overcomes paralyzing fear of flight to win boy back in Paris. Girl meets French boy. French boy helps girl win boy back. Girl and French boy fall for each other along the way. Girl gives French boy life savings to open a vineyard. Oh, and French boy comes from a family with a vineyard but lost his inheritance. Yeah, and boy who dumped girl, dumped her for French girl. Ok, maybe it's not that simple. It makes good use of the setting. Meg Ryan is charming, even on auto-pilot. Kline has fun putting on a French accent and trying to find honesty in a character with such a big personality.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Let's see. I covered forgettable...not a big Meg Ryan fan...mentioned the accent. Pretty much covered my issues with it. I find it funny that this is from the same writer that penned The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Grand Canyon. Sorry, he wrote those and only directed this. I should've clarified.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment