Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Made of Honor

The Pitch: Looking back, I think there was a directive to put as many people from Greys Anatomy in wedding movies as possible.

What Took Me So Long: If I was to break down the numbers, I'm sure they'd show that I've seem about as many Romantic Comedies as I have any kind of movie. They are simple movies that are enjoyable enough (not greatly, not minimally, just enough).

Why I Saw It: Would it be hard to believe that True Detective renewed my interest in Michelle Monaghan? Because that played a pretty big part. I like Patrick Dempsey as well as I can for someone I'm ambivalent about. Like all good RomComs it keeps up with the tradition of filling the supporting cast with reliable funny people to mask the comic limitations of the leads. That means, we get Whitney Cummings, who I still like despite not enjoying her TV show(s), Busy Philipps, who I always like, and Chris Messaina, who I didn't know in 2008 but like now.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: That title kept me away for a long time. Unless I'm completely oblivious about something, the title attempts clever wordplay without any follow-through. Like almost all RomComs, the beats are all familiar, yet I doubt anyone is watching this not prepared for it to be at least a little derivative.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment