Friday, October 24, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Tourist

The Pitch: An American tourist Forest Gumps his way through a European spy movie.

What Took Me So Long: I remember a lot of people speaking negatively of it when it got a bunch of Golden Globe nominations and that was always enough to make me say "maybe later".

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) It's kind of surprising to see a movie with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie (btw, she took a four year acting break after this) get so little attention. I guess that plays to perceived vs. actual star power. There's are good moments of chaos for Depp to look flustered in and Jolie is perfect for the suave agent role.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Was there ever a moment of doubt for anyone who has seen this that Johnny Depp was actually Alexander Pearce? I'm not a particularly smart viewer. Realizations like that normally elude me up to the very end. So, if I could immediately assume that twist, I have to wonder if anyone was fooled. It also can't help that I confuse many of the beats in the movie with Knight & Day.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment