Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Can't Buy Me Love

The Pitch: A handsome nerd pays the hottest girl in school to go out with him to be cool.

What Took Me So Long: I saw Love Don't Cost a Thing. I had the gist of this already.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I actually really enjoyed this movie and I can't put my finger on why. Patrick Dempsey is very winning in this and Amanda Peterson is in the upper tier of girls playing this role in comparable high school movies. There's a lot of fun with the "geek to chic" transformation, regardless of how many times I've seen it since. For a movie that is so short, it effectively covers the entire school year, where most movies of it's ilk would try to fit this into the shortest amount of time possible. It didn't try to be something it's not by giving an ending other than the predictable one.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Still, it is a high school comedy. Maybe it's because it didn't exist in my all-boy high school, but I've never bought the strict caste system in a high school setup, where drastic measure like this are needed to go from nerd to cool. Dempsy is too hansome to ever buy as a nerd. A lot of the beats are contrived. All these things are what make a high school movie though. Can I really condemn it simply because it wasn't a John Hughes high school?

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment