Thursday, October 9, 2014

DVR Purge: 10/2-10/8

So, I'm gone for six days and that's enough to completely overload me with shows on my DVR. It has taken two days just to get everything watched. This will not be a very detailed purge I'm sorry to say. Here it goes...

Past Purges 


Girl Meets World "Girl Meets World: Of Terror"
I'm not sure what it is about Halloween that lends itself to anthologies, but this was a solid collection of stories. I especially enjoyed Auggie's as a twist on the classic "monster under the bed" fear.
-So, Lucas and Farkle are friends to the extent that they go trick r' treating with each other? That friendship is a strange one and almost interests me more than Riley and Maya.

Bad Judge "Pilot"
I missed the part where she was 'bad'. She's a good person who cares too much. Maybe she shouldn't be having sex in her chambers and she drinks a bit, but that's not so bad. I like Kate Walsh but the pilot is a toothless followthrough of the show's title.

A to Z "Pilot"
Cristin Milioti and Ben Feldman are going to carry me through on this one. This is staggeringly similar  to (500) Days of Summer. That's not bad or anything. I just would've thought that if it was going to be this much of a rip-off that Scott Neustadter and Michael H. Weber would get "inspired by" credits.

Parenthood "Happy Birthday, Zeek"
The shenanigans at the school are distracting and harmless. Sarah eventually nailed her response to Amber's pregnancy. Zeek came to his senses by the end. Joel and Julia are going to be frustrating until the finale. So much of the episode relied on everyone yelling over each other. Still, it's incredible how well they go from hating each other to loving each other. Few shows pull it off as well.

Saturday Night Live "Sarah Silverman/Maroon 5"
Based on how she stumbled over lines and relied on the cue cards, I can see why Silverman didn't last long as a featured player. It was an ok episode and Adam Levine didn't force himself into as many sketches as I expected.

Brooklyn Nine Nine "Chocolate Milk"
I'm kind of tired of vasectomy plots in sitcoms in general. This had enough laughs to make it still funny though.

Mulaney "Pilot"
Good god, John Mulaney can't talk to other people! That was so uncomfortable. He's funny and there's some interesting jokes in the pilot but he has a lot of polishing needed to his performance. I was ready to give this an entire season based on the talent involved. After seeing the pilot, I'll give it a few episodes before dropping it is a possibility.


The Big Bang Theory "The Hook-up Reverberation"
It's good to see they finally brought Raj's girlfriend back. Did anybody else feel cheated by all that talk of investing in the comic book store resulting in nothing? That had potential to be very funny in future episodes.

Gotham "The Balloonman"
This episode didn't try so hard to be "cute". It featured more of Bruce than I needed. Beyond that, solid. The balloonman idea was an interesting one and McKenzie and Logue keep playing up their archetypes.

Scorpion "A Cyclone"
They are pushing the cheese factor pretty early. These first episodes are all about making it clear what the purpose is of everyone on the team and they continue to do that.

Selfie "Un-tag My Heart"
I would love to see the version of this show that doesn't end with Eliza and Henry together. It's good to see they aren't pushing it too hard in that she's seeing other guy[s]. Eliza was far less annoying this time around and Henry proved to be more flawed than a know-it-all. The trick to the show will be about how it side-steps the premise and becomes its own show. The second episode was a good shift.

New Girl "Micro"
I'm all for having more classic Winston and CeCe messarounds. I'm losing track of how many episodes they've done about Jess dating a guy who turns out to be a mess. Still funny though.

Agents of SHIELD "Making Friends and Influencing People"
Simmons is back and that's all that matters. Fitz is starting to function again. Skye is becoming a real agent. Ward isn't getting thrown back into the group too quickly. The direction so far has been good.

The Mindy Project "I Slipped"
They got way more material out of Mindy and Danny's incident than I expected. I'm officially done caring about Jeremy until they get him and Peter out of this feud. Way to go having Morgan furthering himself professionally. That was pleasant and unexpected.

The Middle "Major Anxiety"
Absolutely wonderful episode. Frankie and Mike in the car, worrying about Brick. Sue and Axl bonding over their anxieties on the roof. Both were excellent scenes full of a lot of heart and weren't even ruined when it all devolved into zaniness.

Modern Family "The Cold"
I could not be more pleased with the start of this season. Another great episode. I can't point to a single weak part of the episode, partly because I don't care to. All the kids continue to be the stealth stars of the show.

Black-ish "The Nod"
My favorite episode yet. It still has the strongest voice of all the new comedies this season. It was also nice to break up the twins as individual entities.

No comments:

Post a Comment