Monday, October 27, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Epic

The Pitch: What if you're not crazy and the underpants gnomes ARE real? Or something like that.

What Took Me So Long: Even Ice Age movies can't get me into theaters, so an off-brand Blue Sky production isn't likely to make me rush and see it. Oh, and they went way too big with that trailer.


Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This looked like it could be a very pretty movie, and I think a lot of the nature shots succeeded at that. It's got some entertaining voice casting. I find it funny that Aziz Ansari is basically slug-Aziz...

Why I Wish I Hadn't: This had some uncomfortable uncanny valley moments, especially when it's any regular sized people. The animation for the people was kind of lifeless, like they put all the effort into making sure the plants looked pretty then forgot about the rest of it. While I don't think an animated movie has to be believable, I like when they are at least clever and consistent. I didn't find the explanation of how this world is able to exist very interesting, and they weren't too consistent about the physics of the size of the people in both worlds (Yes, stompers talk slower, so how can MK's dad understand her super fast talking while she has to wait for his slow talking?). It's not a bad movie, but it is a lesser effort from the Ice Age and Rio studio.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment