Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Long Kiss Goodnight

The Pitch: Can Geena Davis be a badass? Give me $60 million and I'll prove to you that the answer is "yes".

What Took Me So Long: I had not idea this movie would be so fun.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I feel like I'm reminded almost weekly that Geena Davis is pretty great, but I haven't really sifted through her catalog. She is so enjoyable here. In fact, this whole damn movie is so damn enjoyable. It's filled with non-stop action, bad one-liners, and insane choreography. There's a sense of recklessness that isn't seen enough these days. If you told me it was originally developed for Arnold Schwazenegger in 1986, I would believe you. Then there's the perfectly cast Samuel L. Jackson, for whom, apparently, the role was completely rewritten when he showed interest (as is the case most times that you cast Samuel L. Jackson for anything).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: I would nit-pick at the plot, but the movie invites the absurdity too much to bother with a close examination. This is Renny Harlin's first movie after the disastrous Cutthroat Island, which makes me even more curious to see what kind of a bomb that movie was, since this works so surprisingly well.

Verdict (?): Strongly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment