Thursday, October 2, 2014

Delayed Reaction: Escape from Tomorrow

The Pitch: It was made in Disney World, without Disney's permission and it is somehow seeing the light of day. Does it even matter what it's about?

What Took Me So Long: I've been curious since I first heard about it, but I was afraid it would change my view of Disney World too much.

Why I Saw It: This easily tops the list of movies that I was more curious to see the "Making of" segment than the movie itself, in this case, because I don't know how they pulled it off. It sounds like at some point Disney had to not care, which is awesome in its own right. I'm not all that sure what the movie was about. To be fair, I'm not sure how much I'm meant to understand. It does a great job on a few levels of depicting a parent's feelings about being in Disney World with kids, and, given the restrictions in the staging, it looks surprisingly good and the acting far better than it had any right to be. For fans of The Americans, I'll save you the trouble and confirm that one of the french girls is in fact Annet Mahendru (Nina).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: At some point, the gimmick IS the movie. It's not that movie about a dad going through a mental breakdown during a family vacation. It's the movie that they filmed in secret at Disney World. If it was the same movie but they used sets (or probably even if they got Disney's permission beforehand) instead, I'm pretty certain no one would be seeing it.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment