Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Delayed Reaction: The Pacifier

The Pitch: This generation doesn't have a Kindergarten Cop. Let's fix that.

What Took Me So Long: It's taken me a very long time to come around on Vin Diesel.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) One of the most interesting things to track in Hollywood is how the action stars mellow out. Arnold Schwarzenegger is the master of it, be it straight comedy (Twins), stealth action (Kindergarten Cop), or action comedy (True Lies). The Rock either does something fun (The Rundown) or finds a movie to hook fans young (The Game Plan, Tooth Fairy). Sylvester Stallone does Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot. Enough said about that. Vin Diesel has only taken one foray into family fair (character voices aside) and he smartly choose to show off his action star moves without getting too intensive on delivering the funny lines (i.e. he accepts his limitations as a performer). I'm also never going to complain about Brittany Snow showing up in a movie either.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: What? Was I supposed to have high expectations for this? It was cute, not clever. Simple, not efficient. Accessible, not crowd-pleasing. There's nothing about it that was specific to Diesel. The Rock could've been in this and it would be exactly the same.

Verdict (?): Weakly Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment