Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Jungle 2 Jungle

The Pitch: Tim Allen adopts Mowgli.
How I Came Into It: My Netflix account has been trying to get me to skip this for [no kidding] years. It's been at the top of my queue several times and delayed by the dreaded "Very Long Wait" each time. I don't believe in bad omens, but a force more powerful than me was clearly telling me something.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I forget that Tim Allen was a big deal at one point. Home Improvement was a massive hit. He had movies like The Santa Clause and Toy Story making him the patron saint of Disney in the 90s. That means there's movies like Jungle 2 Jungle, and it's a fine movie. It's just Crocodile Dundee for kids, or for a new generation (whatever you want to call it). 

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Director John Pasquin and Tim Allen work together a lot. Their first movie, The Santa Clause, was a charming hit. Their next movie after this was Joe Somebody: not a hit bit but a movie that for some reason I've watched many times. While tonally, everything about Jungle 2 Jungle is the same as the other two, something isn't quite right in the final product. Allen's character is too unlikeable and nothing about Mimi makes sense. The climactic part of the movie was completely tacked on to try to give the movie some sort of plot (reminded me a lot of Man of the House, but far less effective).

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment