Friday, June 5, 2015

Weekly 10: 5/29-6/4

Welcome to the Weekly 10. I'm always trying to find a way to keep both myself and potential readers interested in this blog while also not completely taking over my time (Yes, I have plentiful free time, but there are limits). I found the DVR Purges too difficult to keep up with due to a Spring schedule that was determined to ruin me. I still like bringing up my thoughts on whatever TV shows I'm watching. Mix that in with whatever movies I've been watching (over a year later and I'm still way behind on my Delayed Reactions) plus the occasional other things I've been up to and you have my weekly 10.
The Weekly 10 is my weekly recap of the TV, Movies, and shows in general that have made my week better (or in some cases worse in a notable way). New episodes, DVR recordings I'm finally getting around to, Netflix binges, new releases, and rentals are all fair game. When available, links to reactions will be included.


Community Season/Series Finale
In a way, it's brilliant what Dan Harmon has done. He game us a great potential series finale to season 3, eased us into a world without Community by getting fired for season 4, returned to whittle down the cast in season 5, and hopped to a little used streaming service while whittling down the cast even more for season six, so that by the time it's over, I basically already used to to there being no Community at all. In the first two seasons, this series had potential to be an all-time favorite of mine. Between season 4 and the departure of the essential Donald Glover, that's not a worry any more. Season six was a very good season of TV (ranking is currently 2, 1, 3, 6, 5, 4) and if Yahoo Screen didn't completely suck, I'd've easily kept up with the season instead of binging to catch up. I'm more than fine with this being the end of the series, although I'll be there watching a season seven is there is one.

Game of Thrones "Hardhome"
Holy crap! That was impressive! The battle with the White Walkers managed to be dwarf the spectacle of last season's "The Watchers on the Wall" in half the time. I don't know what's left for this week's penultimate episode, which is generally reserved for the big moments of the season, but I'm excited to find out.

Silicon Valley "White Hat/Black Hat"
Richard attempting to spin the deletion of Intersite's data as a good thing was the hardest I laughed this entire week if not this month. Thomas Middleditch's twitchiness is damn near an a work of art.

Hannibal "Antipasto
Yeah, it's back and I nearly forgot. As interesting as a week of just Hannibal and Dr. Du Maurier was, I'm eager to reunite with Will, Jack, and the other survivors.

Last Week Tonight
It was virtually guaranteed that he'd go after FIFA again and it did not disappoint.

The Road Warrior
Finally got to see this (and the other two from the original trilogy). Loved it! That's climatic fight/chase is still a marvel to see 30+ years later.

Halt and Catch Fire
Yet another Sunday show! Had you told me midway through last season that I'd bee this happy to have Halt back, I wouldn't've believed you.

Another Man's Treasure
I had the pleasure of seeing a reading of my friend's first full length screenplay. It reminded me of About Time in all the right ways, although it was very much it's own thing. I can't wait to see what his final draft looks like or if this gets produced eventually.

Mad Max: Fury Road
Yeah, I saw it again. It's so good! I saw it this time because I'd just watched the first three movies. While they aren't essential viewing, they gave even more context to Fury Road (or maybe it was just the benefit of a second viewing clarifying things).

NBA Finals
This will be the last basketball I get for a while. Hopefully Lebron can make this a series and not a slaughter. The Cavs nearly stole game one. Falling apart in overtime certainly worries me.

No comments:

Post a Comment