Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Delayed Reaction: The Dukes of Hazzard

The Pitch: Gee, Starsky & Hutch was such a success. There must me some other kitschy shows from that era that can be made into a movie.
How I Came Into It: I know of the show from the old TNN* re-runs. It's a unique show that's had a longer life in the cultural consciousness than anyone could've expected because of how distinctive it was. Of the TV shows made into movies, this really wasn't a bad idea. It's not overly specific to a time period, the story is simple enough, and there isn't a face of the franchise.

*You see kids, TNN was a cable network called The Nashville Network that became Spike TV. It isn't missed by many.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) Based on all the posters for this, the music video, and pretty much anything I can remember leading up to the movie, I should start with Jessica Simpson. She's attractive, isn't she? Ok. I've got that out of the way. Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville are pretty perfectly cast. Really, everyone in this reads like a checklist of the people you'd say needs to be in this: Burt Reynolds, Willie Nelson, M. C. Gainey, David Koechner. Throw in a couple interchangeable white guys (Joames Roday, Michael Weston) and you have yourself a Dukes of Hazzard cocktail.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: Not only do I have no fond memories of the Dukes. I have no feeling for them at all. There's a little fun to be had at making fun of cultural differences between then and now (such as people's reaction to the Confederate flag atop the General Lee), but mostly it's a movie I don't care about.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment