Monday, June 8, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Michasel Jackson's This Is It

The Pitch: Michael Jackson died. We have some footage. So...profit.

How I Came Into It: They churned this movie out as part of the deluge of products produced or reproduced after the King of Pop's untimely death. I was never a big fan of Michael Jackson's. At the same time, he's kind of a big deal and as ubiquitous as they come. And this was never designed to be for anyone other than the fans.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I don't love Michael Jackson, but I do like enough of his songs. Plus, there's the interesting element of seeing the concert come together, not seeing the final product, like in most concert movies. More than anything, I came away from this with a sense that it would've been really cool to see a Michael Jackson concert in person. He put on a show. That's for sure.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's understandably uneven. Since MJ was not available for obvious reasons, all the post-production was essentially "How can we make what we have work?". There were a lot of guidelines about what footage could be used (they summed up to "Nothing that makes him look bad"), so there's definitely a sense of not getting a full picture. Again, this is a fan movie, not Hearts of Darkness, so that's to be expected. No, all the issues with this tied into the fact that it was a concert movie made from footage that was not intended to be used for a concert movie.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment