Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Blade 2

The Pitch: Blade, except this time, it's even more Blade-y than before. This time, it's some Mexican director.
How I Came Into It: Well, I saw Blade*. I continued to dislike Wesley Snipes and be indifferent about vampires. Guillrmo del Toro directing got my interest. The phrase "you can't polish a turd" comes to mind though.

*I saw it recently and I swear I wrote a Delayed Reaction for it, but for the life of me, I can't find it and I have no desire to revisit it.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) I like the cast assembled for this. I don't like Wesley Snipes but he is right for the role. Hellboy, poor man's Jeff Bridges, and the better Boondock Saint are nice and eclectic characters for this world. The action is all so very over the top in a mostly good way (I forgive some moments of dated effects).

Why I Wish I Hadn't: When you see Guillermo del Toro's name attached to something, you want it to be a Guillrmo del Toro movie and this wasn't one. He tried almost too hard to stick to the look of the first movie, which was fine but also something you'd want out of a rent-a-director type.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment