Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Delayed Reaction: Something to Talk About

What I Guessed It Was About: Dennis Quaid and Julia Roberts have a meet-cute, then get together, and become...something to talke about.
How I Came Into It: Julia Roberts isn't my go to RomCom lead (that would be Sandra Bullock, of course). You can immediately tell that it's a RomCom from the poster, but the title doesn't give a good indication about the story contents. That means I was a blank slate, because I'm not about to research a movie like this beforehand.

Why I Saw It: (Club 50) This did not go in the direction I expected a couple different times. Good on them for not being predictable. I didn't expect Quaid to be cheating. I didn't expect people around her to be so forgiving of him (except Kyra Sedgewick, that is). I didn't expect the movie to end without some grand gesture and reconciliation. Oh yeah, and this is the most I've liked Sedgewick in anything before Brooklyn Nine Nine, which has to count for something.

Why I Wish I Hadn't: It's tweaked the formula a bit, but it's still a pretty standard RomCom. The small southern town aspect bored me pretty quickly and it got a little busy with the sideplots (I just don't care about Robert Duvall being too old for a riding competition). All the sideplot are there though because the central story doesn't have enough to it. I think I'd rather see the version of this that looks more like Grand Canyon, a true ensemble piece with a large variety of small stories about a small town.

Verdict (?): Weakly Don't Recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment